Wine lovers in search of the best Saint Emilion wine tours & tastings? You’ve come to the right place!
My visit to the Bordeaux region was the perfect wine-filled European getaway. I’ve been lucky enough to visit Saint Emilion a couple of times and found some great tours & wine tasting options that I’ll share with you.
For those who don’t know, Saint Emilion is the most charming French town full of delicious wines, stunning architecture, and quaint restaurants.
In September, a prime time for visiting, I was fortunate to experience wine tasting on two of these tours, enhancing the charm of the season.
I’ll share the best way to explore all of the beauty that this part of France has to offer, which is by taking a guided wine tour from Bordeaux!
Based on your interests and the time you have available, choose the one among these three tours that best suits you.
This post may have affiliate links. When you click on a link we receive a small commission. This is at no extra cost to you. See Our Affiliate Policy for more info.
Is St. Emilion Worth Visiting?
The idyllic French town of St. Emilion is absolutely worth visiting! It’s renowned for its wine vineyards and historic architecture.
A truly charming village in the Bordeaux region of France, situated just about 35 kilometers (22 miles) east of Bordeaux city, making it an easily accessible day trip and enchanting destination for anyone seeking the essence of French beauty and viticulture.
What Are the Best Wine Tours in Saint Emilion?
There are several wine tours that leave from Bordeaux to Saint Emilion!
I am going to suggest the two tours I personally took, and the other tour that is the highest rated.
Is Saint Emilion Popular For Wine Tasting?
YES! Saint-Émilion wine tasting is one of the most popular activities for wine enthusiasts visiting the Bordeaux region.
Known for its rich, full-bodied red wines, Saint-Émilion offers visitors the chance to sample a variety of vintages from local vineyards.
Easily join guided tours or rent a car and do your own private tastings.
🍇 Pro Tip: If you are visiting in July and August be sure to book your tour in advance as it’s the busiest time for the region.
Top 3 Winery Tours From Bordeaux to St. Emilion
On this tour, I enjoyed an ideal half-day of wine tasting in St. Emilion!
Opting for this wine tour from Bordeaux to Saint Emilion allows you to savor some of France’s finest wines and immerse yourself in the stunning scenery that surrounds them.
It is perfect for anyone looking to start their day by going on a day trip to Saint Emilion vineyards!
With just enough activity for a half-day trip, this is the ideal way to get a taste of medieval village life and some of the best Bordeaux wines.
Saint Emilion Wine Tour Itinerary
Price: $117 & Duration: 4 hours (tasting fees included)
- 9:00 AM: I started the day by meeting the guide and group at the Bordeaux Tourism Office.
- Departure: Then we begin a scenic drive in an air-conditioned mini-van to Saint Emilion, with informative commentary on notable vineyards en route. Luckily, no traffic, and we arrived in 45 minutes!
- Winery Tour: At the first stop, we learned about the local wine harvesting and production processes. We briefly explored the areas where wine is produced and stored.
- Wine Tasting Session: Then a wine tasting session in a Classified Growth Chateau in Saint Emilion. We were able to taste exquisite wines. Tastings include a variety of wines, such as Cabernet Franc, and Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot, accompanied by dark chocolate. (Wines vary per season)
- Village Visit: After our tasting, it was time to take a self guided tour of the famous village of Saint Emilion, including key sights like the largest Monolithic Church. I spent my free time exploring the medieval town and looking for those hidden gem photo opportunities.
- Optional Dinner: After about 1 hour it’s time to go back, unless you want to stay on your own. Public transportation is available for return to Bordeaux’s main train station.
- Return Information: Trains to Bordeaux run approximately every hour, with a 30-minute transit time.
🍇 Half- Day Wine Tasting Tour
Price: $107 & Duration: 5 hours (tasting fees included)
This tour is ideal for anyone who wants to start wine tasting later in the day. I loved having this option on my second trip to the region.
Saint-Emilion Afternoon Wine Tour Itinerary
- 1:50 PM – Departure from Bordeaux Tourism Office:
- Location: Enjoy your morning relaxing in the city of Bordeaux and meet at the Bordeaux Tourism Office at 12 cours du 30 Juillet.
- Activity: Then you will join a small group tour with a warm welcome from your guide, setting the scene for an afternoon of wine exploration.
- Journey to Saint-Emilion:
- En Route for 1 hour: Take a delightful journey through the French countryside, experiencing the deep history and special features of Bordeaux’s vineyards. Your guide will enhance your understanding of wine and share interesting details about the beautiful landscapes around you.
- Grand Cru Winery Experience (1 hour 15 minutes):
- Location: Visit a prestigious Grand Cru or Grand Cru Classé Château.
- Activity: Dive into the world of winemaking, learning about the various stages from grape to glass. Enjoy a guided tasting session, sampling some of the château’s renowned wines.
- Famous Village of Saint-Emilion Tour (1 hour):
- Activity: Arrive in the picturesque village of Saint-Emilion. Embark on a guided walking tour along the charming, medieval streets, uncovering the village’s history and culture.
- Family-Owned Winery Visit (1 hour):
- Location: Explore a family-owned winery in either the Saint-Emilion Grand Cru or Pomerol appellation.
- Activity: Engage in an expert-led wine tasting, complemented by a selection of local delicacies. This intimate experience provides a deeper understanding of local winemaking traditions and techniques.
- Return to Bordeaux:
- Activity: Conclude your enriching wine tour experience with a leisurely drive back to Bordeaux, reflecting on the day’s discoveries.
- Drop-off: Arrive back at the Bordeaux Tourism Office, where your memorable afternoon in Saint-Emilion comes to an end.
🍇 Afternoon Wine Tasting Tour
Price: $176 & Duration: 8.5 hours (tasting fees included) * Not available November through March
One of the best and only full-day group tours to the Saint Emilion area from Bordeaux can be booked from April through October.
On this tour, you will visit 2 wine regions and partake in 6 wine tastings!
Full-Day Bordeaux Wine Region Winery Tour Itinerary
- 9:00 AM – Departure from Bordeaux Tourist Office:
- Activity: Commence your full-day tour with an introduction by your guide, setting the stage for a journey through Bordeaux’s renowned wine regions.
- Morning – Visit to Classified Growth Estate:
- Location: Explore a prestigious Classified Growth Estate in Bordeaux.
- Stroll around the vineyards, appreciating the picturesque scenery.
- Tour through the estate’s cellars, learning about its unique wine-making process.
- Enjoy two exclusive wine tastings, sampling the estate’s renowned wines.
- Mid-Morning – Château Family-Run Estate:
- Location: Visit a charming, family-run Château in the Bordeaux region.
- Discover traditional wine-making methods.
- Engage in a tasting session of the Château’s distinct wines.
- Afternoon – Drive to Saint-Emilion & Picnic Lunch:
- Location: Journey to Saint-Emilion.
- Activity: Relish a picnic lunch at a chateau amidst the scenic beauty of Saint-Emilion.
- Post-Lunch – Visit to a Grand Cru Classé Estate:
- Location: Explore an authentic, family-run Grand Cru Classé estate on the right bank of Bordeaux.
- Tour the traditional vat room and cellar, feeling the intimacy of this private chateau.
- Participate in a tasting class, learning to identify wine aromas and understanding the nuances of wine tasting.
- Late Afternoon – Guided Tour of Saint Emilion Village:
- Location: Saint Emilion, a UNESCO World Heritage-listed village.
- Activity: Embark on a guided tour of the village, uncovering its rich history and cultural significance.
- Evening – Return to Bordeaux:
- Activity: Wind down as you travel back to Bordeaux, reflecting on a day filled with wine discovery and historical insights.
- Drop-off: Arrive back at the Bordeaux Tourist Office, concluding your day trip into the heart of Saint-Emilion’s wine culture.
🍇 Full-Day Saint Emilion Wine Tasting Tour
Where in France is Saint-Emilion Region located?
Saint-Emilion is located in the Dordogne region of France, 8 miles (13 km) east of Bordeaux.
It is a historic vineyard town and UNESCO World Heritage site known for its wineries, narrow streets made of cobblestone, and hilltop monolithic church.
I captured a postcard-worthy photo of the magnificent view and most beautiful countryside from atop St. Emilion.
The medieval village is embedded in a region that produces some of the world’s most popular and celebrated wines. From Bordeaux, you can reach Saint-Emilion by car in about 20 to 30 minutes.
The town is accessible by train services that run every day from Bordeaux Gare Saint Jean station.
The Best Vineyards to Visit in Saint Emilion
There are many wineries in the Saint Émilion / Bordeaux region each with its own stories and wine-making traditions.
Some of Saint Emilion’s best wineries to visit include Château Coutet, Chateau La Rose Monturon, Château de Pressac, and Château La Croizille. There are more, but these are among the best wineries to discover.
Saint Emilion in France offers the perfect environment for organic vineyards. This old-world city offers numerous exquisite organic wines and the best way to experience them is by visiting one of its many chateaux and vineyards.
Once you have come here, you can be sure of having a truly unique experience.
All of these wineries offer stunning views and some even provide guided tours to enhance the experience.
From organic whites to bold organic reds with an array of aromas and flavors, the vineyards of Saint Emilion are guaranteed to leave oenophiles enthralled!
Tips for enjoying your wine tour without spending a lot of money
Planning a wine tour doesn’t have to break the bank. With a bit of research and some savvy shopping, it’s easy to find 1 ticket that provides you with access to many wineries without spending an arm and a leg.
Researching upcoming events and special offers can also help you save money on tour admission fees.
Once you’ve arrived, look for tasting passes that will give you the most bang for your buck and check into local community discounts that may be available.
By doing your homework beforehand, and sticking to a budget while on the tour, it’s easy to enjoy the scenery, sip some delicious wines, and taste delightful samples without breaking your budget.
When to Visit Saint Emilion For a Winery Tour
Visiting wineries in Saint Emilion for a wine tour is incredibly rewarding, but choosing the best time of year can make all the difference.
Summer season and fall are two of the most popular seasons for this type of experience.
During summer, visitors benefit from warm days and balmy nights, perfect for strolls through vineyards and leisurely tastings in wineries.
In fall, days are usually still mild enough to wander and explore while surrounded by spectacular foliage.
However, if you’re looking to avoid crowds and don’t mind cooler temperatures, spring may offer the ideal timing for winery visits.
Should I Join A Wine Tour If I am Traveling Alone?
In my opinion, traveling solo and joining these tours is a great way to actually meet new people!
When I travel with friends I am less likely to strike up conversations with a stranger.
An organized tour is the most efficient way to see the sights and stunning scenery while learning about some of France’s finest wines.
I was able to kick back and just enjoy the day without worrying about any of the logistics.
NOTE: If you visit in Saint Emilion wine region in the summer months it will be the busiest time!
Why a Wine Tour is Perfect for a Solo Traveler
From Bordeaux, Saint Emilion is the perfect day trip for any solo traveler! Traveling alone can sometimes get a little boring or lonely.
But with group tours that have options of half-day or full-day tours, you can break up that solidarity.
These tours give you the opportunity to meet new people as you explore a variety of tasting rooms, all while learning about Saint Emilion’s famous wines.
Whether you are looking to meet fellow travelers or locals, you can create unforgettable memories with the friendly and open-minded citizens of Saint Emilion who often share their knowledge about the area’s iconic wines.
In short, Saint Emilion is an ideal destination for a solo wine tour where you can enjoy the beautiful countryside and meet incredible new people. It’s the best place to truly appreciate French old vintages!
Final Thoughts on Saint-Emilion Wine Tours
If you love wine and are in Bordeaux, you should definitely go on one of these wine tours.
The ones I went on to St. Emilion were the best part of my trip each time!
Being on the tour made everything more fun and interesting. The tour guide knew so much and was really funny.
I really think going on a wine tour in St. Emilion is a great idea!
FAQs for Saint-Emilion Wine Tours
Yes! You can find affordable group wine tours to Saint Emilion. I joined a wine tour to Saint Emilion from Bordeaux that was $70. The tour was a half day and included transportation and the winery ticket.
I found that it was great value for the money and would absolutely do it again when I return to the Bordeaux region.
Yes! There are many companies that offer private winery tours in Saint Emilion. Speaking from my experience, I would highly recommend visiting the St. Emilion region on a tour.
A private tour guide will know exactly how to organize the best day to the best wineries in St. Emilion!