This post may have affiliate links. When you click on a link we receive a small commission. This is at no extra cost to you. See Our Affliate Policy for more info.
Visiting Bremen, Germany, and planning to rent a car? In order to rent a car in Bremen there are some things you should know. Lucky for you, I recently visited Bremen and rented a car from the Bremen Airport.
I wanted to share my experience and my 7 tips for renting a car in Bremen so that you can be prepared. Renting a car in a foreign country like Germany doesn’t have to be hard.
Renting a car can be the best way to ensure that you have the freedom and flexibility to explore this beautiful city and surrounding areas.
I have 7 tips for renting a car in Bremen that will help you make the best choice and make your experience as smooth and stress-free as possible!
Ready To Book A Rental Car In Bremen?
I found the best deals in Bremen by using Discover Cars for my car rental in Bremen. Get the best offer by checking booking dates early!
5 Reasons Why You Should Rent A Car in Bremen
Bremen, Germany is known for many things! The Hanseatic city has beautiful architecture and cobblestone streets. You can find museums and cultural activities as well as some of the best beer in Germany. A visit to Bremen wouldn’t be complete without a stop at the famous Bremer Rathaus (town hall), which dates back to the 16th century.
There are also plenty of outdoor activities such as visiting the nearby beach or going for a hike in one of Bremen’s forests, which is best reached by car.
When you are making your Bremen itinerary and deciding whether or not to rent a car, consider all these reasons below!
Here are five great reasons to rent a car in Bremen:
1. Convenience & Cost: With a rental car, you can travel around at your own pace without having to time your journey with public transport. The cost of a rental car may surprise you. Depending on the season you travel there are a lot of cheap car rental options.
2. Take day trips – Bremen is conveniently located in the center of Germany, making it an ideal starting point if you’re looking to explore more of the country. With a car, you can easily take day trips to nearby cities like Hamburg and Hannover, and many of the quaint German towns.
3. See the sights – Bremen is full of historic landmarks and attractions that are worth seeing. Renting a car gives you the freedom to explore all these places without worrying about getting around town by bus or train.
4. Taste the local flavors – Bremen is home to some of Germany’s best food and beer. With a car, you can take your time as you explore all the local eateries, breweries, and wineries that are located just out of the city center.
5. Enjoy Germnay’s Autobahn – One of the most iconic parts of Germany is its famous Autobahn, and renting a car in Bremen puts you right at the heart of it. Get ready for an adrenaline-filled drive on one of the world’s best roads!
1. Pre Book Your Rental Car for The Best Rate
When it comes to renting a car, the early bird gets the cheapest price. Germany has rental car agencies you might be familiar with such as, Hertz, Enterprise, Budget, and Europe Car.
I like using Discover Cars when I book my rental car because it will compare all the big rental car companies above, with the local ones so you get the best deal.
It is also easier to understand all the requirements when you book a rental car directly with Discover Cars.
You can get started online today and search by car type. Lock in the best car rental deals by booking well in advance.
Also, it is important to book early if you need a car rental with an automatic transmission.
Rental cars with automatic transmissions always book up the fastest.
2. Understand the requirements to rent a car in Bremen
In order to rent a car in Bremen, you will need to present your valid driver’s license, passport, and a credit card or debit card.
If you are not an EU citizen you will need an International Driving Permit.
The minimum age to rent a car in Bremen is 18, however, most rental companies require that the driver be at least 25 years of age.
With Discover Cars, you can rent a car at 18. The only catch is you can only rent compact economy cars. If you want to rent a full-size car you must be at least 21 years old. For exotic cars or luxury rental cars, you must be 25 years or older.
There is a young underage driver fee that applies to anyone under the age of 23.
Additionally, make sure that you’re aware of any special requirements or restrictions imposed by the company before signing the agreement.
3. Car rental places pick up & drop off locations
Consider your plans and map out your trip ahead of time! Depending on how you are getting to Bremen, you have a few options on where to pick up your rental car.
If you are flying to Bremen, the best place to pick up your rental car in Bremen is at the airport. This is because renting a car at the airport ensures that you have plenty of time to get acquainted with the car before heading out on your journey. Plus, you won’t have to worry about trying to navigate public transport on arrival.
However, if you are arriving in Bremen by train you can pick up your rental car in Bremen city center! There is a convenient pick-up location that is just minutes from the main train station. It will also be a little cheaper if you pick it up in Old Town Bremen.
I know I might sound like a broken record, but you really need to reserve your rental car at least a couple of weeks in advance. This will ensure that you get the best deal and have plenty of time to compare prices and pick the right car for your needs.
4. Find the right types of cars to rent in Bremen
Consider what size of car you will need on this trip and book accordingly. If you are a family of 4 or more traveling around Germany, you might want to consider getting a rental van or some other mid-size vehicle.
For couples and solo travelers, I would recommend small vehicles that are easy to park. But just remember your rental car will need to rent big enough for all your luggage!
If you are bringing large luggage, it might not all fit in a compact rental car.
The biggest challenge you could face with your rental car in Bremen is finding parking. So, if possible, make a hotel reservation that includes parking on-site. It will be worth any additional charge.
Budget for Gas Prices in Germany
The prices of gas in Germany in 2023 are averaged at $1.86 per liter. These prices do fluctuate often, so it can be difficult to predict exactly how much money you need.
If you plan your itinerary carefully you should be able to have a rough idea of the cost with the average gas price in mind.
Nearby German cities to go with your rental car in Bremen
Renting a car in Bremen gives you the opportunity to visit other cities in Germany without having to fly or take public transportation. Here are some nearby must-see spots you can reach in your Bremen car rental:
• Hamburg, Germany – The vibrant port city of Hamburg is only two hours away from Bremen. Enjoy its world-class museums, delicious food, and beautiful harbor.
• Hannover, Germany – Home to sprawling parks, opulent palaces, and some of the best beer in Germany, Hannover is only an hour away from Bremen.
• Berlin, Germany – The German capital is a three-hour drive from Bremen – but well worth it! Make sure you save some time to explore its iconic sights like the Berlin Wall and Brandenburg Gate.
• Bremerhaven, Germany – Located just half an hour away from Bremen, you’ll find plenty of opportunities for exploration in Bremerhaven with your rental car.
5. Rental car insurance in Germany
Not only does Discover Cars have the best rates, but by using Discover Cars to book your rental car in Bremen you can add car insurance easily.
Adding full insurance coverage is just $6.77 per day!
Full coverage includes:
- Deductible/excess charge for damage or theft
- All repair costs such as windows, mirrors, and wheels
- Towing and any taxi-related expenses
- Lost keys or lockouts
6. Skip the GPS upgrade
It is important to have GPS, but it is better to save money upgrading with GPS for your rental car and just upgrade your phone plan.
I called ahead and made sure to add coverage so that I could use Google Maps when driving around Germany.
Google Maps is better than GPS in car rentals for a few reasons
- You can plan a multi-city trip with Google Maps. I like to research and plan ahead and save the route directly on my phone. I also add the top attraction stops I want to make, as well as my hotel.
- With Google Maps you are able to plug in gas stations along the way so you can plan when to fuel up.
- I love being able to avoid toll roads and highways if I want a different route.
- You can use it Google Maps offline if you save the route ahead of time and put your phone in airplane mode. This is a great way to save phone data.
7. Plan for the extra charges
An unexpected extra fee can be a drag. Just do your research ahead of time and read the fine print. There are some things that are commonly charged for you might not be expecting, such as:
Admin Fee: Car rental contracts may include a fee if you don’t opt for full coverage and have your own collision damage waiver.
Additional Drivers Fee: Pretty much all rental car companies will charge an additional fee for an extra driver. On my rental car contract, the fee was $106.62 for my car rental period.
Gas Fee: Don’t forget to bring your car back with a full tank of gas! Otherwise, you will be charged an extra cost of filling it up!
Reasons you do not need a rental car in Bremen
If you are visiting Bremen for a day or two and then flying to another destination you may not need a rental car.
Getting a car rental in Bremen is ideal for the international traveler who plans to explore all the surrounding areas in Germany.
So overall if you are planning to visit Bremen to explore the only city center and most landmarks that are within walking distance from each other, you can skip getting a rental car.
Locations car rental companies with Discover Cars
- Bremen Europcar, a rental agency, (Bremen City Center) is the perfect location to reserve your rental car if you are traveling to Bremen by train. When I was comparing rental car prices, the city center location was coming up with the lowest rates.
- Another pickup location is in Überseestadt, Hansator 5, 28217 Bremen. This rental car agency is just slightly outside the city center.
- Bremen Enterprise (Bremen Airport)
I personally use Discover Cars when booking my rental car. This way you get the cheapest rental cars in the city! With Discover Cars, you can read through the customer’s reviews before booking.
Quick Take Away Tips for renting a car in Bremen
- Reserve hotel parking whenever possible. The parking spaces in Bremen are made for a small car
- If you need an automatic car you must reserve your car early
- There are a few rental locations in Bremen, and the best prices are from an off-airport location
- If you are planning a road trip the best way to get around is by car
- The average speed limit in the towns and cities is 31mph
- Discover Cars will do the price comparison so that you pay the best price for your Bremen car rental.
FAQs Bremen Car Rentals
Yes. If you want to take your rental car in Bremen to alternative drop-off locations it is possible, but you must arrange this in advance.
There may be a fee involved in leaving your car rental in another city that you originally rented it in.
Conclusion of getting a Bremen car rental
The best way to truly explore Bremen and visit the rest of Germany is by booking a rental car.
You will cut your time in half by being able to just get in your car and go! Take advantage of all that Germany has to offer.
Hopefully, this guide has given you some insight into renting a car in Bremen.